Thursday 4 September 2014

My Brooch Collection

I have always collected things since I was a child. I've collected everything from beer bottle tops, to brochures, to mini soaps, etc. Nowadays I try to collect only "grown up" things such as: brooches and buttons. Generally things with a purpose, with the exception of my movie ticket stub collection which will never have a purpose but I doubt I will ever stop collecting. 

I'm not sure where this urge to collect things came from. I was a hoarder (now in recovery), but I liked to think I was an organised hoarder, and perhaps that's why I felt the need to collect things. No idea! 

I thought I would share with you my brooch collection as it is now, in no particular order. I fully expect it will keep growing! 


These two were given to me by my boyfriend's family for Christmas last year. The starburst on the left is a vintage 1950's brooch bought from Darling Central in Gold Creek. It's beautiful, and honestly these photos do not do it justice at all! The one on the right is the first of my Erstwilder collection, the Betty Jo Sparrow brooch. I just love it! 


These two were given to me by Yvette Adams from Look What I Made!
The owl was a secret santa gift from our work Christmas party last year. I didn't even have to open it before guessing who it was from! Isn't it the cutest? The second is a gift she gave me recently, which she purchased from Tarryn from Butter and Buntings. It's made from vintage puzzle pieces! How clever. 


These two were birthday gifts from my lovely friend Chiara. The left one was given to me a few years ago, and it's beautiful. I remember when I was opening up the cat one on the right I couldn't help thinking "Oh gosh, I hope this is a cat brooch", and what do you know, it was! She knows me well. 


I acquired the two above from Fash n Treasure on two separate occassions. The pinup I simply couldn't resist, and am ashamed to admit I can't remember the name of the stall I bought it from! She had many other pinup brooches it was difficult to choose just one! The bee brooch was a little vintage number I scored at a really cheap price. I don't know why I liked it, I just had to have it. I mean, it's a bee!!


The food related brooches are recent additions and were made by Lisa from Urban Charms. I saw her stall at the recent Burlesque Bazaar and was instantly excited! I made the mistake of letting the coke bottle/hotdog one go, so I asked her to make another and she was more than happy to oblige! The pie was originally on a ring, but when I asked her if it was possible to make one as a brooch she fixed it up for me!  



These three are all little vintage numbers I have found over the past year or so. The first two I purchased from History Repeats. The 70's era doesn't normally resonate with me, but I just couldn't pass up that butterfly brooch with the little chain connecting them. The flower brooch I adored, and I think it's a shame I haven't worn it all that much! When I saw the second butterfly on Etsy I had to nab it. 


I found this Erstwilder flamingo brooch maybe one week after being gifted the swallow brooch. I was buying garden flamingos for a friend when I saw this and couldn't say no. I'd fallen in love with Erstwilder products. Plus, it went with the outfit I had been wearing at the time so I kinda had to buy it, you know? Since then I have bought a few other Erstwilder accessories/jewelry and I have many more on my wishlist! 



Finally, these Your Fan Club made by Kate Gabrielle from Scathingly Brilliant pins have been my most recent purchase! I'm so in love with all of these, and I already want more! The only problem I have is figuring out which ones to wear! I tend to wear the Tea Fan Club one to work as we have a little tea club going there in the afternoons (basically we drink tea and gossip). I feel like I should keep them in my bag so they can be interchangeable! 

I hope you've enjoyed this little look-see! Currently I'm looking into buying laser-cut perspex off Etsy to turn into brooches as I think that would be really fun! 

xxx

4 comments:

  1. What a fab collection. I really like how youve photographed them on that paper. I LOVE the hotdog and coke and the lady with the red headband. Thanks for sharing my brooch!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty happy with it, but I can't wait for it to grow more! I didn't have any fun patterned paper so I went with a book instead :) You should check out Urban Charms if you like those ones! And of course, I love the brooches you made! Very cute! xx

      Delete
  2. He he, yes I loved your little look-see! There are SOOO many beautiful ones! The Erstwilder ones are pretty darn gorgeous! I love my new Fan Club pins, but I do wish the post pin was a bit shorter so they weren't so floppy! I see you have your future husband there to wear on your chest.

    Is that a Trixie Belden book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) You should do one too! You probably have way more than me. I do really love my Erstwilder ones. I totally agree about the Fan Club pins. Mine spin around heaps and they hurt if you pin them directly to your top instead of the collar. Yes ;) It's the only way I'll ever get him to touch my chest, hahaha. Dylan from Bates Motel is my back-up husband I've decided.
      And yes!! Great spotting :) xx

      Delete